6.26.15

(Note: the topic of this post is likely to spark passionate responses, which I encourage. However, I reserve the right to not publish commentary I feel only speaks hate to others, regardless of what side of the issue the commenter is on. My blog; my rules.)

Today, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that “the Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and recognize a marriage between people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state.”

"A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it." -Frederick Douglas

“A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.” -Frederick Douglas

So, now gay Americans who wish to marry cannot be denied a license by the state. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. The country has been reacting all day, running the gamut from wildly enthusiastic support to the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. (I read of one person who said he’d set himself on fire if the SCOTUS ruled in favor of gay marriage. I’m not exactly sure what he thinks that would do, but there it is.)

Anyway, the reactions to today’s ruling have been both encouraging, inspiring, upsetting, entertaining, and a marvelous display of the free speech we in this country so often take for granted. Whatever your position on the subject, we should all be grateful that we live in a nation that does not infringe on our right to speak our mind. Whatever you may choose to say on the subject, respect that freedom: many died to provide it. Speak peace when you speak your piece.

Below are my two favorite memes from the day; what are yours?

“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -William Hazlitt

“When people begin to define the things that they believe in, based upon the exclusion of all the things that they hate, all that does is eat away at the soul. Define the things that you believe in based upon the pursuit of the the things that you love and then that love should be able to override all those things that you hate.” -C. Joybell C.

This entry was posted in America, Controversy, courage, Culture, current events, Debate, Free Speech, Freedom, Gay Marriage, SCOTUS and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 6.26.15

1. Connie says:

I am thinking of a song my girls sang at church last summer – The BIBLE stands. Everything else on earth will eventually pass away but the BIBLE stands.

2. Jenn says:

:) Celebrating and so grateful for my friends in the LGBTQ community. And I think the Bible will pass away too… it is just a book… but God will remain and rejoice that Love always Wins.

3. It saddens me that so many are willing to bring down the wrath of God on someone else — but ignore their own deeds. A heart of love has a very hard road in this world and to deliberately crush it, confine it, deny it will only sicken us. “Love one another, even as I have loved you.” I see no hate there. I think we should keep busy watching our own deeds and not get into some righteous twit over those of others.

Biblical law demands the death penalty for rape and incest. There are other specific rules about a number of things that I don’t see as a “mission” among our conservative friends. Why create a campaign to save a woman condemned for adultery, in a foreign country – and turn around and scream death to gays? Shall we send divorced ladies back to their fathers and never let them love again? I’d be in real trouble here.

Love God, Love others as you Love yourself – on these two commandments hang all the laws and the prophets. Easy – then you don’t have to memorize thousands of pages of detailed, sometimes contradictory, instructions. You just care about the human beings you share this planet with. And worship you God by loving.

• rodalena says:

Yes. If God is love, then love should be the motivation of any conviction and behavior that is born of belief in God.

• Jenn says:

I’m tired of people assuming they know what sin is… I’m tired of our culture just going along with the idea that homosexuality is a sin in the first place… lumping homosexuality in with murder, adultery, or any other sin is like saying it is a sin to love. The act of love could never be a sin… there is no way… no how…

4. I believe in the Biblical principal of marriage as a union between a man and a woman for the purpose of mutual love and enjoyment and procreation. It requires a man and a woman to procreate. I further believe that the liberties afforded to one citizen must be afforded to all citizens. I believe, however, that there should be a distinction between marriage and civil unions. Jenn, I humbly suggest that you read the Bible. You will find that it is much more than “just a book.” You will be astounded to find that the book of Job, the oldest book of the Bible, written about 4,000 years ago, told that the earth was a globe, life was in the blood, the earth hung in space and revolved around the sun and on and on with scientific proofs that only recent history have verified. You will find in the Old Testament more than 3,000 prophecies regarding the Messiah that were completely fulfilled in the advent of Jesus Christ. The Bible is the Word of God. John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” God’s word is eternal. It is much more than a book, it is a road map to eternal life and it shall last forever. Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” Jenn, may God pour out His blessings on you. I, personally, send you all my love.

• rodalena says:

Ken,

Thank you for your comment. Respectfully, I disagree with you. First of all, I do not believe marriage demands procreation.

I also think you made some assumptions about Jenn; mainly based on your suggestion that she read the bible. You have no way of knowing whether she has or not (I, however, can confirm that she has). You assume if she does, she will interpret and respond to it in exactly the way you describe. Assumptions like that can do a lot of damage; people who choose to read the bible interpret it through the lens of their own experience, the influences in their lives, and their environment. A different perspective is not a bad thing.

• drkenadair says:

Thank you, Sis. You are right. I did make some assumptions without foundation. You know me well enough to know that I stand on a literal interpretation of the Scriptures. You also know that I meant no disrespect to Jenn. You misunderstood my first sentence. I did not mean that procreation was demanded by marriage but I do hold that it is a product of many unions. Same sex unions can not produce offspring. God ordained procreation in Gen.1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth…” God bless, Rhonda. All my love.

You look like you want to say something. Go right ahead.